My Blog List

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Riverdance-A Phenomenon-Week 4




Riverdance has become a phenomenon since its first showing in 1994 at the Eurovision Song Contest. I was 14 years old at the time when Riverdance came out and I was still dancing at this age. It was such a exciting time in Irish Dance and everyone who I danced with was excited. I was at a dance competition in Toronto, Canada and rode the same elevator with Jean Butler who was the female lead for Riverdance for many years. Riverdance is a theatrical production that tells the story of Irish Culture and Irish Immigration to America.


Many of my friends that I danced with went on to audition for Riverdance their Junior and Senior years of High School in 1998 and 1999. I had had about 10 friends who I danced with who have traveled the world with Riverdance and performed. I have one friend, Joe Moriarty who has been dancing with them since 1997 and I have attached a short clip of Riverdance and he is the male lead. This was a recent performance he had in Columbus, Ohio-my hometown. Riverdance has been such a positive influence in the Irish Culture and a huge success across the United States and in Europe!
***Student Question: In your cultural background is there any type of performances or plays that have captured the essence of your heritage? Please use examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment